October 5, 2014

REPOST: I hope the October Synod...



UPDATE: Since I wrote this on July 4, 2014, it has become apparent that the SYNOD is not going to take my advice... not that I thought they would anyway. If anything, the wolves have come out in force, ready to devour, decimate and deconstruct the nuclear family and negate the need for a Catholic wedding Ceremony, except as a nice place to have a wedding. Just like is the park Gazebo, the surf-side Pacific Ocean or the local Elvis Presley themed "chapel" in Nevada. 

Starting today, we may be close to queuing the Dies Irae for the Sacrament of Matrimony, I fear...


...begins with a short prayer to the Holy Ghost, followed with instruction in some basic Catholic elementary school education:

From the Baltimore Catechism Online (1941):
281. Which are the chief commandments, or laws, of the Church?


The chief commandments, or laws, of the Church are these six:
To assist at Mass on all Sundays and holydays of obligation.
To fast and to abstain on the days appointed.
To confess our sins at least once a year.
To receive Holy Communion during the Easter time.
To contribute to the support of the Church.
To observe the laws of the Church concerning marriage.
From the Catechism of the Catholic Church #1866:
Vices can be classified according to the virtues they oppose, or also be linked to the capital sins which Christian experience has distinguished, following St. John Cassian and St. Gregory the Great. They are called "capital" because they engender other sins, other vices. They are pride, avarice, envy, wrath, lust, gluttony, and sloth or acedia.


Method of Confessing:
After examining your conscience and telling God of your sorrow, go into the confessional. You may kneel at the screen or sit to talk face-to-face with the priest.

Begin your confession with the sign of the cross, "In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. My last confession was _______ weeks (months, years) ago."

The priest may read a passage from holy Scripture.

Say the sins that you remember. Start with the one(s) that is most difficult to say. (In order to make a good confession the faithful must confess all mortal sins, according to kind and number.) After confessing all the sins you remember since your last good confession, you may conclude by saying, "I am sorry for these and all the sins of my past life."

Listen to the words of the priest. He will assign you some penance. Doing the penance will diminish the temporal punishment due to sins already forgiven. When invited, express some prayer of sorrow or Act of Contrition such as:


Act of Contrition:
O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee, and I detest all my sins,
because I dread the loss of heaven, and the pains of hell;

but most of all because they offend Thee, my God, Who are all good and deserving of all my love.

I firmly resolve, with the help of Thy grace, to confess my sins, to do penance,
and to amend my life. Amen.


After this short lesson, they can all adjourn and return to their normal Cardinal duties at their respective Churches and Dioceses, content that they have followed their Divine precept and instructed all the Bishops, Priest and Laity in the proper way to return wayward Catholics to Full Communion in the Catholic Church.



Copyright 2014 David Heath - All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, just keep them civil and within Catholic Charity. Any comments made assume permission is granted for re-posting. I and Blogger determine what is spam or otherwise not fit to be published here and will act accordingly. Differences of opinion are welcomed; emotional only arguments are not. Corrections willingly accepted of anything I post, especially if contrary to Catholic doctrine.