May 29, 2017

The Hoosiers-Avengers-Rome Thingy



Part of the storyline in the movie Hoosiers is that of the relationship between a Father and his son, a key player on the high school basketball team. A former basketball star himself, the Dad is now an alcoholic - and an embarrassment to his son. The son for his part acknowledges the drunk as his Dad, despite the embarrassment over his Dad's frailties. There is redemption near the conclusion, as both acknowledge a truth - a son's love for his Father and the Father's acknowledgment of his alcoholism (as depicted by him in the hospital, presumably "drying out".)

Such is where I find myself with the current Chair of St. Peter. He is an embarrassment to me (and to not just a few other Catholics.) I truly cannot stomach looking at his ever-present media photos, some of which are - intentionally or not - not very flattering. Even as I continue to pray for him and his good intentions, I cringe at the headlines I see each morning coming from Rome (and elsewhere in the Catholic World) that bespeak of an institution spiraling out of control, as headline after headline churns my insides so as to make even my Keurig 2.0 coffee taste bitter:

Pope Francis: many young people in the Church have fallen into the ‘temptation of rigidity’ 

Rigid as compared to what, Holy Father? Following the 2,000 year old Traditions of the Church founded by Christ, as opposed to following the 50 year old Vatican II New Evangelization, now into its what? 15th reiteration? And where in Italy is the Mt. Sinai where God gave you the additions to His 6th Commandment of "Thou shalt not commit adultery"? Seems to me God the Father was a bit presumptuous in wanting to chastise most severely all those revelers at the Mount, was He not? He probably regrets that now, I would think, don't you? Most assuredly, HE was too rigid too as well, do you not agree?

I can't wait to hear more good news for modern man from the newest Book of the Bible: The Ongoing Acts of  the Francis.

I truly am heartless (I have no time for anyone attempting to defend an emotional-based position.) A cruel bastard (I don't care about all the troubles you have in living a life polar-opposite to most natural and moral laws.) An unloving twerp (a woman's right?!?! to choose? How about a baby's right to choose you being his/her Mom?) A rigid olden-times Catholic hell-bent on sending my rigid and neo-palgeanistic (is this even a word??) soul to the Dark Side of the Force. A baby-boomer who gets high on smelling the incense wafting throughout the aisles of church, and rides a wave of ecstasy as the schola chants the propers. I revel in the swift justice of God to the rebelliousness found in the Old Testament - remember Onan's seed? I still marvel at the ultimate act of Forgiveness of Christ on Calvary, as well as His swift justice and righteous anger in driving the moneychangers from the temple.

I keep hoping I will wake up some morning and find that Francis' God-of-surprises has whacked him up the side of the head with the nearest-at-hand copy of St. Jerome's Vulgate, and maybe even followed that with a whack on the other side of the head with The Catechism of Pope Pius X for good measure.

Much like when Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow whacked
Clint Barton/Hawkeye to snap him out of his cult-ish following of Loki in The Avengers:





But as I set here and ponder the Objective Truth that is Our Lord Jesus Christ and that it is His hands to which are tied the marionette strings of this world and all its happenings, I know that I must - simply put - do what St. Paul says:"I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith."

Until the current Pope (or hs successor) decides to do what he is supposed to do by direct commands of both Our Lord and Our Lady (no...no links. You already know what the commands are), all that any of us can do is to continue to fight the good fights and to keep ourselves strong in the One True Faith as it was handed down from Christ and His Apostles; to fight against the enemies of Christ and His Church according to our station in life; be ready to suffer all for His sake, even unto death as the martyrs of old have done. 

"And fear ye not them that kill the body, and are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him that can destroy both soul and body in hell." [Matthew 10:28]


Copyright 2017 David Heath - All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, just keep them civil and within Catholic Charity. Any comments made assume permission is granted for re-posting. I and Blogger determine what is spam or otherwise not fit to be published here and will act accordingly. Differences of opinion are welcomed; emotional only arguments are not. Corrections willingly accepted of anything I post, especially if contrary to Catholic doctrine.